A very good friend of my wrote on herFacebook wall recently
When I was young, Guys who wanted to impress me told me they are playing in a rock group….. Today they tell me they created a startup…
And it is true, I even see every day more and more connections between the music industry and the start-up world.
- Every can launch a rock group as well every one can start a startup.
- Only a few groups became very successfully, as well as startups
- Only the groups that worked hard and played a lot had a change,as well as start-ups
- Rock groups have to handle record labels who decide and guide their selected groups, with startups we have Angel Investors, Equity funds,…. The same complex hierarchy.
The good news is that we can learn as a startup from the music world, we are having a perfect example of what can go wrong and what can go well. As startup people may see us as Rockstars, but as real rockstars you need torun your business if you want to stay a Rockstar.
Many rock groups went down to drugs and other non related site activities, also record labels with there complex structure of copyrights, ownerships etc. controls the music group. Do you really think Justin Bieber or Myley Cyrus really can make the music they want or they can really say no to a show? Do you believe that a group like One Direction made it without a whole team behind them, and hard work? Of course not. And this is the same for startups. Startups with investors (angels or others) or in the same position.
I met in my life many startups, dreaming and wasting too much time on the side activities, like presenting on stage when the software/app is not online yet, talking about big numbers but didn’t had done any market research, and after 1 year and when I asked there business plan, no answer.
As like every small rock group, they started in a garage and grown by playing more , promote and play and promote. Startups often starts in the kitchen or bedroom and they work hard,try, grown, test, try, grown, test…..
Next time you listen to music when working on your start-up, remember the following:
- Creating Software / Product / Service = Writing songs
- Going Live = Selling your Songs via iTunes or Play Store, or having Paid Clients
- Marketing and Communication andpromotion = Concerts
- Your Team = Booking Managers, Tour Manager,..
- Success = When you are on stage and people are shouting your name
While launching my startup, Gift Voucher Kiosk (http://GiftVoucherKiosk.com), I kept this in mind and I had fun, but I concentrated on the service like a rock star concentrate on his music.
Let me know how your start-up fits the rock star world.
Author: Frederik Van Lierde – Google+